mPower Pro loses network connectivity

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any insight into an issue I've dealt with regarding a few mPower Pros losing connectivity.  I have 70+ of these deployed in my environment, and I've run into an issue where the mPower Pro completely loses any network connectivity.  For troubleshooting steps, I have factory reset it dozens of times (hold down reset, amber light flashes, until amber is solid).  I have also held down the reset button longer (40-60 seconds), not sure what that does though.  What ends up happening is, the LED will flash like normal, then stay solid amber.  The NIC connecting to either a switch or a PC will be lit up, but it won't communicate at all.  If I connect the mPower Pro to a DHCP enabled network, it will get an IP, but you can't ping it or access via SSH/webui GUI.  If I put it on a 192.168.1.0/24 network without DHCP, you can never ping the failover address 192.168.1.20.

I have 4 of these devices in my possession that are experiencing this.  Often times, if I connect it to a switch, it will be constantly incrementing input/CRC errors.  Sometimes it will auto-negotiate to 10mbps/full (should be 100mbps/full).

Is there anything I can do to get these working as it stands?  I feel like since the switch recognizes the MAC of the mPower Pro, it could be something within the internal Linux busybox, and not necesarily hardware related.  If I were to take it apart, is there anything on the circuit board I could hook into to see what the server is doing?

I have RMA'd a few of these in the past, and wondering if there is anything I can do to mitigate this myself.  I appreciate any insight on this.

Ken

Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 1

Re: mPower Pro loses network connectivity

I don't believe you can do something except RMAing.

From my understanding the busybox cannot break. It is read-only.

One thing you could actually try is to connect your mPower Pro via Wifi. If waranty is over (?) you can maybe keep it usable for a few more years.

Hello mweb, thank you for the reply!  I thought about trying to configure it via WIFI but it was my understanding you need to use its ethernet connection to setup the WIFI.  Is there a way to set it up without connecting to ethernet first?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 1

Good point.

According to documentation

Wi‑Fi The mPower PRO can connect to a wireless network once Wi-Fi settings have been configured using the Ethernet connection. For instructions, refer to the Accessing the Configuration Portal section.

But ... after reset, does the PRO open a Wifi AP just like the smaller mPower do?

If yes, you might be able to connect to web interface or SSH and configure the WiFi.

Highlighted

I don't believe there is a WIFI ssid created upon resetting the mPower.  Sounds like I don't have any options.  Thank you for your assistance though, mweb.