mPower opinions

Hi,

I would like to buy a surge protector for my electric devices.

I like the ubiquiti product very much. This is the reason why i would like to choose this product.

The best for me the 3 outlet version.

Are there any opinion of this product?

Thank you 

Kudos: 141
Solutions: 5

Re: mPower opinions

Have a couple of the 3 port and I'm happy with them. I run them without the controller as stand alone units. For just surge protectors, the unit might be a bit of an overkill. I have some that work in a master slave config, and that works well. Also use them to disconnect loads when the voltage or current goes beyond safe limits.

Kudos: 14

I don't think the mPower products are advertised as having surge protection as a built in function, like you expect when you get a typical power strip that has "surge protection".  Yes, the mPower devices do sense voltage and current, but my guess is that configuring it to turn off power if the voltage or current exceeds a certain amount might not not provide quick enough response for cases like a lightning induced surge in the power lines of a building.

I think the mPower may be able react to minor voltage/current variances like a "brownout" or a minor surge. I mean those cases where electrical devices are not instantly "fried", but should be shutdown or power turned off within 30 seconds or so in order to prevent damage from continued operation when power conditions are outside the normal standards.

I have multiple mPower mini, Pro, and 3 port devices and I like them.  The one gripe I have is that there is no physical way to turn port on and off unless you have wireless network connectivity to the device (or using the wired option with the mPower Pro).

Be sure you understand what the flashing lights mean on an mPower device and absolutely do NOT unplug the mPower from the wall socket while it is in the status of "upgrading".  I did it once before I understood the lights and that mPower device is now useless.

Kudos: 141
Solutions: 5

bacol2, you should be able to get the unit into recovery mode. Haven't done it in a while, but pretty sure they had a recovery mode

as for surge protection, it has some mov but don't recall them having any inductance to prevent much. See the image they used for the fcc approval

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/mFi/mFi-Surge-Protection/m-p/1172164/highlight/true#M11273
Highlighted
Kudos: 14

Thanks for the link. That is helpful. I will search for some info about recovery mode for the mFi mini that I unplugged during an upgrade. If I can't fix it, then I learned a lesson that I will not repeat with any Ubiquiti products, and it only cost me about $40. I do like to try to fix things, so it would be a nice challenge for me to at least try to get it working if I can find some instructions about the recovery mode.