Kudos: 42
Solutions: 1

mfi mprt contacts question

on port 3, Are these wet or dry contacts.
Do they read a voltage or just open/close.

I'm using the Mport to monitor temps at one of my remote sites but would also like to use it to monitor the door on the cabinet and maybe the amperages going through them. That being said, I want to know when a power outage occurs so i can monitor how long it's been down for.

If the Mport is plugged into the backed up side of the UPS, will the MPort read the voltage off a wall wart plugged into the non backed up side? Or should i use a relay to give me an open/close circuit?
Kudos: 68

Re: mfi mprt contacts question

The terminal blocks support a variety of options, including analog voltages, open/close, RTD.
For the UPS scenario, are you talking about using the Current Sensor to monitor said wall-wart? It doesn't care where it gets its power per say or what's being monitored. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish there.

thnx,

I want to know when the main power connection goes down. I'm not running fancy UPS's.
My thinking is that the wallwart will simply provide a voltage when the main power feed is running and if/when the power fails at that site, the wall wart will shutoff while the UPS takes over. The Mport registers the drop in voltage and sends me an email saying the power is off.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7935
Solutions: 233

It can't do anything if it loses power also Man Happy

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Kudos: 68

I believe it'll do that just fine; that said, as the software sits now you'd create a custom definition. If you throw a relay in the mix, you can use the door/window contact setting as it is.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7345
Solutions: 415
Contributions: 1

Why not use a current sensor on the line that feeds the UPS.
Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow

It can't do anything if it loses power also Man Happy

ugh, i thought i had covered that!

Why not use a current sensor on the line that feeds the UPS.

That would work too, and give me an idea of power usage!

Only issue i have is that the power wire is teck, it comes into the box, then goes to a 2x4 wall box mounted on the back wall of the cabinet. To split a wire out isn't the easiest.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7345
Solutions: 415
Contributions: 1

ugh, i thought i had covered that!

That would work too, and give me an idea of power usage!

Only issue i have is that the power wire is teck, it comes into the box, then goes to a 2x4 wall box mounted on the back wall of the cabinet. To split a wire out isn't the easiest.

Even if you have to buy another box and add 2 or 3 feet of wire the current sensor might be the best way to go.
Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow