Radio Shootout Pt.2 - let's try a whole bunch of them…

• Super Users

Since the results of these tests (see Pt. 1 ) were providing some surprising results against the one Ubiquiti competitor's radio, it seemed like a good idea to see how some other types of radios fared too. And to make it more interesting, how about testing the radios for interference rejection on nearby channels?

ShootoutRadios.jpg

So to summarize, the AF5X has far superior (5 times) the zero-guard band interference rejection of the B5 at exactly the same received signal strength. That makes a huge difference in operations at congested sites, and allows for much easier frequency planning as well.

• E
    Beta Testers

WOW Jim this is just blowing my Mind !!! Kudos for that ! Very well done !

• Beta Testers

Cracking read. Very enlightening.

• M
    Beta - mFi

An N chip (ePMP) should be expected to perform worse than an AC chip in throughput tests.

• G
    Beta Testers

You do realize the ePMP is the only N radio on the list, right? It should not be such a surprise that an N radio can't match the throughput of an AC radio.

• Beta - EdgeRouter

N or not, it degrades much faster than anything but the B5C.

• Beta - EdgeRouter

And it "costs" more than a "custom radio" (AF5X) or both "AC Radios" from UBNT :biggrin:

:leaving:

• Beta - EdgeRouter

Jim, this is an awesome writeup. But your results don't hold up in the real world when you throw distance into the equation. AFx is a clear winner. Airmax AC falls on its face when distance comes into the equation.

However, adjacent channel info is spot on.

• M
    Beta Testers

I am surprised to see how well the lite held up to some noise!

• R
    Beta Testers

Thanks for doing this writeup Jim! Great insight!

• D
    Beta Testers

Very valuable data, few people have a chance compare all of them!

• A
    Beta Testers

Hi,  Im considered a non experted user and with very basics about RF.  But Im a user of cambium and ubnt gear.

My question is why to use/choose the more expensive radio from ubnt , i guess the sincronization feature do not provides any advantage on ths scenario , and prices is almos the 3 times againts the non GPS radio. the epmp  radio is not more like a rocket m5 radio ?

Whata are the results from a Rocket M5 radios results on this test ?

Thanks in advanced.

• S
    Beta Testers

Could you please list what firmware you use on each radio, along with some of the basic configurations on each link… e.g. depending on what ePMP firmware you're running there are 3 possible PtP modes, each with different performance and latency characteristics.

• A
    Custom Avatar

**eejimm **in these  tests simply measured  Adjacent Channel Rejection  of various radios  . ACR is important parameter, but it does not give any estimation of interference resistance  of ePMP , ubnt  and Mikrotik radio. Really  these tests showed following :

• ACR  of Atheros  802.11n  and ubnt/mikrotik  АС radio  at 2.5  adjacent channel - 30 MHz guard interval (GI)  in 20MHz channel bandwidth , roughtly  are  about  15-17 dB. It is not good, but is not so  bad.

• Mimosa  radio ACR  is much worse – less than  12 dB at 30 MHz guard interval. It is  not  good.

• ACR of ubnt AF5X   it seems due to Airprizm filter is about 30 dB at  (GI  >30 MHz). But we see that at GI= 20 MHz  and less  ACR is the same as  other systems  without filter. So airprizm does not works at 1st  and probably at 2nd  adjacent channels, so  it makes this type of filter at  low GI  unefficient.

In regards to measure of thoughput.

ePMP aggregate throughput  60-70 mbps without interference ( 70 mHz GI) is not correct. It should have been 110-120Mbps. Something   wrong   in configuration, may be   DL/UL ratio  is 50/50 and  simplex ( one way) speed  is measured .   Also   ePMP works at  64QAM  and  comparison    with  other system at   256QAM  is not correct.

So these tests  are   usual  throughput  comparison  at  64QAM 5/6 and 256QAM modulation and ACR measurement  various systems and nothing more.

eejimm should provide tests  with   interference  at  the same frequency channels  (co-channel interference)   with   C/I = 10, 20,30 dB. These results will be more interesting and usefull

• M
    Custom Avatar

epmp is a suprise here , but ok gsp model is not needed in this secenario so price is more like rocketM5 or aclite, and still in wide use … me:). I woud like to se RocketM5 in coparations. All radios are atheros wifi based except arifiber .. I think !?

• M
    Beta - mFi

Mimosa is not Atheros based, it is Quantenna based.

I would like to see the PMP450 and PTP650 series run through the same tests. yes, I know they're expensive and no, I don't have any to donate to the test. Maybe someone else can?

• Super Users

Everyone - I understand some of the frustration of only seeing limited testing of a limited number of radios here, but I do have a business to run, and a lot of other things take up the majority of my time (which is why I'm writing this on Sunday morning - only so many hours in the week…)   So there's no way I can do more tests on more radios right now - this just happened to be somethig that was started for some other reasons, and was fairly easy to do at the time.

Please feel free to do whatever additional testing/comparisons you feel approrpiate, and post your results too - more data is always better than less.  I'm sure I'll do more in the future - this really started by wanting to compare AF5X with B5c, and sort expanded from there - we're going to be doing some testing on long links in the field soon, and I'll post those results when I get them.

Jim

• M
    Beta - mFi

Agreed that more data is better than less and that time is precious. Not everyone has your skills in creating whatever devices it is you have in the middle. Hopefully others can piece these things together and do some further testing.

• N
    Beta - EdgeRouter

Awesome tests.

I'd be curious to see what the results are of on-channel interference as well (albeit at much lower levels I'm sure). Would  be a great reference to point people to when they think that airPrism is going to solve their on-channel interference issues. :D - I also have a suspicion that the AF5x would cope better than the airMAX AC units with on-channel interference, but it would be good to actually have some numbers rather than a gut feeling on the matter haha.

• Beta Testers

How close do you think the Cambium proximates a standard Rocket M5 or Airmax N radio since they use the same chipsets? Do you think the Cambium results would be about the same for the "N" Airmax line? Like if you replaced the Cambium with another rocket m5 radio?

Posts 39Views 5

Looks like your connection to Ubiquiti Networks Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.