AirMAX FCC / UNII Updates – Lower Band Activation Process

• U
    Previous Employees

Hi all,

We've recently begun getting approvals on the airMAX products for the new FCC UNII rules. This opens up additional 5GHz spectrum which can be used for PTP or PtMP applications. Because the products were previously approved under the older DTS rules, the new approvals require a new FCC ID. The FCC requires that any products must have the updated FCC ID on the label prior to enabling the UNII bands.

New devices in production will begin shipping with the new FCC ID and the new UNII rules applied out of the box.

For any customers that have previously shipped products with the older FCC IDs, we will allow to request replacement product labels, which we'll prepare and ship free-of-charge to our customers.

Requesting Updated FCC Labels

To request labels for your company, please use the following form:

https://www.ubnt.com/fcclabelrequest/

Once the information is submitted, we will mail the labels and an activation code to you. Notes:

• Each company will receive one activation code; this activation code may be used on all devices.

• The devices do not need an internet connection in order to be activated.

• At the time of this posting <u>not all products listed on the request site have obtained all approvals</u>. We wanted to allow customers to request labels in advance so they can be prepared once the approvals are granted and firmware is ready.

Updated UNII Bands

• UNII-1:  5150-5250MHz

• UNII-2a: 5250-5350MHz

• UNII-2c: 5470-5725MHz

• UNII-3:  5725-5825MHz

NOTE:

Beginning June 2016, all products shipped must be approved under UNII rules; no products previously approved under DTS rules are allowed to be sold/marketed by any vendors. However, any products already installed and operating under DTS rules are grandfathered in, and still allowed to operate under previous rules.

CAUTION:

Due to the new OOBE requirements, 5.8GHz EIRP limits with the new UNII rules are lower than the previous DTS rules. Please keep this in mind and exercise caution before activating the UNII bands on existing longer distance links.

This applies only to US/FCC. Canada/IC rulings have not been finalized yet, but will have final rules soon.

Let us know if you have any questions!

-Matt

• Thank you Matt, I know this whole DFS process has been a nightmare, but you guys (and girls) just keep on doing what you're doing!  =)

• Super Users

Seriously - congrats to everyone involved.

"Our long national nightmare is over…"

Jim

• N
    Beta Testers

Thank you! :)!!

• Beta Testers

unless your saying this applies to nanobeams/powerbeams I dont see any relief from the nightmare

• M
    Beta - mFi

What makes you think it doesn't?

• U
    Previous Employees

It does…

• W
    Beta - EdgeRouter

:ubnt_banana:

• Beta Testers

Whoo!! Thanks for the ongoing efforts!

• Beta Testers

I assume there will also be new firmware out for these devices to give us the activation fields needed?

• R
    Beta Testers

could you outline the eirp change/reduction in 5.8 unii vs dts? It may help understanding the caution on existing long links.

• S
    Beta Testers

HI @UBNT-Matt,

Can you say anything about units already in distribution channels, and when, if it's not already the case, new units will carry the updated FCC labeling?

Thanks

Mark

• B
    Beta Testers

-Matt Regarding the EIRP reduction due to OOBE issues, beyond just the 5.8GHz, what are the "new" EIRP limits on all approved bands?

• I
    Beta Testers

Did I read this right? Nanobeams are certified? What about IC?

• B
    Beta Testers

So if we have Nanostation M5s, and we already got labels earlier, we don't need to do anything? Or do we still need to request new labels?

• M
    Beta - mFi

It's a whole new code and label. Similar process.

• C
    Super Users

My Nanostation M5's already do all the different frequencies.  What new frequencies are you looking for with the older NanoStations?

• Super Users

If your radios already work at DFS and/or UNII-1 (5150-5250 MHz) you don't need to do anything right now.   This is for radios that only work at UNII-3 (5745-5840 MHz) today.   Check the Wireless tab/page to see what your radio is cabable of if you're not sure.   Look at the Frequency Scan list popup in the M radios.   All the AC radios will need this.

JIm

• Beta Testers

So DFS is ready for listed models or is this prep for coming DFS?

• Beta Testers

Yes!!!!!! I can finally roll-out AC units like crazy now!! :)

Will the new F/W that allows unlock for these products be beta or official? Also any ETA on that F/W and when we can "start" using the products with the expanded 5Ghz freqs?

Posts 120Views 47

Looks like your connection to Ubiquiti Networks Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.