Litebeam M5 17.9 km p2p Link

• A
    Beta Testers

Hi all,

I was planing to deploy a low capacity p2p where my client was limited on budget and i decided to try out this low cost high end radio Lite Beam M5. This was a planned site survey but at last we had to complete the work bydoing the full installation since the results were way above expectition.

Below are the screen shots taken. the capacity is quite enough since we needed to do a 6Mbps link and we are able to hit to 14mbps down and 12mbps up at that 17.9km.

Lite Beam greate device.pngLite Beam AP - station RX.pngLite Beam AP - station TX.png

I Give ubiquiti kudos for such a great device. Feel free to comment on it..

• Beta Testers

What are joining to at the other end of that 11 mile link as an AP ?

• C
    Custom Avatar

Hi,

I have a question. On the first image it shows a link at 36 Mbps TX/RX rate, yet you were onbly able to achieve 12 with 14 Mbps? What's the explanation?

Thank you.

• A
    Beta Testers

We used lite beam too. Did a firmware upgrade to 5.6.8 and we are able to set it up in AP mode.

• A
    Beta Testers

Nice question though i havent found out the actual answer about it but from my throughput experience with M series radio is 1/2 of the Tx& Rx Rate.

• Beta Testers

The TX/RX rate is the data rate before any error correcting and overhead. You'll find it typically sits anywhere form 1/2 to 3/4 to the real data rate.

• C
    Custom Avatar

Does that apply for all Ubiquiti products? Should I understand that if a radio says in theory it can do 1 Gbps (like for example AF-11X) hould I expect that the real throughput is half. I am aware about the overhead, but the overhead is never half or even one quarter. The overhead is usually up to 10% for a regular and properly configured link. Exceptions are if there is a lot of noise and a lot of retransmission.

Waiting for comments and why such a big difference between the posted and the true rate.

Thank you.

Regards,

Cosmin

• A
    Beta Testers

I found out that the link cuts across power grid line at some point and also expect interference from other transmitters along the path, which might explain the lack of capacity. I haven't yet used AF-11X but have deployed several AF-5x and here the TX-Rx Rate is real, if the Tx-RX rate is 150Mbps you are able to push across around 149Mbps or even the 150Mbps, so I believe that it should be same to the Af-11X.

• I
    Beta Testers

Im planning to setup a link like that. Did you use this model LBE‑M5‑23?

TIA,

• A
    Beta Testers

Question: "Im planning to setup a link like that. Did you use this model LBE‑M5‑23?"

Answer: Yes

• C
    Beta Testers

What Latencies are you seeing when

A. Link is passing Traffic

B. Link is idle with Minimum or No traffic

• Is it also stable throughout ?

• A
    Beta Testers

Yes the throughput is stable, Latencies without traffic are between 4ms to 6ms on load never goes over 25ms.

Posts 12Views 18

Looks like your connection to Ubiquiti Networks Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.