Make multiple configuration changes - Reboot only once.

• Beta Testers

When changes are made in the UniFi GUI, the AP's immediatly applies changes, causing a reboot/reprovision, usually of multiple access points.  Most of the time I find that I need to make multiple changes, which results in multiple reboots, most of the reboots could be avoided.

I propose that configuration changes not be applied immediately but rather that the UI offer an APPLY CHANGES button.  Or even an option to apply changes in a rolling fashion or on a per-device basis, much like the existing "Upgrade" firmware option.  This would enable a minimum of disruption when configuring, especially in places where an AP client is covered by more than one AP.

Duplicates:

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Feature-Requests/changes-without-going-offline/idi-p/654507

• K
    Beta Testers

Yep, the concept looks familiar to what I knew from some FC switches (FabOS) running or … wait: Vyatta does that too (EdgeMAX!)

Yup, definitely would make sense to have that which would lead to a workflow: Change, hack, rerview, fix - finally: commit.

• M
    Beta Testers

I think in addition to combining multiple config changes into one commit, we'd like that to include an option:

Wait until AP not in use (no client devices associated)

• P
    Beta Testers

Most changes should be possible without an AP reboot. Sure, you might have to shut the radios down and kick all the clients off briefly, but it shouldn't take 3 minutes for the AP to change a WPA PSK, for instance. And in areas where multiple APs are deployed and a reboot is truly needed, it might be more useful to do so in small groups evenly distributed over the coverage area so that connected users can roam to different APs instead of losing connectivity altogether.

• Beta Testers

I think for the purpose of this discussion, rebooting and reprovisioning are equivalent.  The discussion ends up being exactly the same irrespective of the technicalities behind the service interruption.

• Global Moderators

placeholder

• Beta Testers

Yeah, AirOS get's this right.  We need a way to queue or pause provisioning and then commit changes.

• A
    Beta Testers

I agree, this would be nice. I would like to see two options:

1. Only reprovision if there are zero clients associated.

2. Mark each site or induvidual AP as "hold reprovisioning" and then get a button in the AP list similar to the "upgrade firmware", that would indicate there are pending changes that needs a round of provisioning. -A

• Beta Testers

I love this idea.

How about implementing it the same way you do for a firmware update, with rolling updates?

That way, even though every device would reboot, only one device would be unavailalbe at any one time.

Thanks!

• S
    Beta Testers

Would absolutely agree - right now it feels very 'out of control'.  Let me make the number of changes I need, then make a positive decision to reboot/reprovision.

Also, display something obvious in the admin UI to make it clear that there are 'unapplied changes' to me made…

• E
    Beta Testers

or at least sommething simple like apply change and reboot AP at : time picker.

So i can make all changes needed and schedule a 4 AM apply and reboot.

• C
    Beta Testers

I agree that this is a needed feature. I'm going to use a UAP-Pro to replace an EnGenius EAP600. The config on the EnGenius doesn't require reboots for each change and is really useful.

• R
    Beta Testers

+1

• S
    Beta Testers

Would like to see this feature as well. Very frustrating that configuration gets applied immediately. Would be nice to configure the settings and apply it when all is set.

• X
    Beta Testers

+1 here as well, I would like to see a non-disruption updates as are seen on other APs. so the AP doesn't have to reboot when settings are changed. Scheduling or rolling reboots so not everything goes down at the same time would be great as well.

• B

This is needed. I have gotten myself in a pinch making an update changing WLAN groups because it wants to immediately reprovision all and doesn't pick up the change on the next ap causing the need for manual reboot. Not good when managing remotely…. Time schedule or even test/save changes like on the tough switch would be nice

• B
    Beta Testers

Being able to schedule reboots would be awesome. Such as here are the configurations, now reboot and apply them when no one is on the device automatically or at like 4 or 5 am.

• S
    Beta Testers

+1 for 'Apply changes' button.

Would make changing settings much smoother

:thumbsup:

• Beta - EdgeRouter

bump

• Beta Testers

Change [apply] to [save] and add an [Apply] and [Apply Later] to the menu bar.  Gray them out when there are no changes.

control24 actions18 Posts 35Views 52

Looks like your connection to Ubiquiti Networks Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.